Maryna Sticksel is a tax lawyer representing individuals, estates, and businesses in tax controversies with the Internal Revenue Service (“IRS”) and state departments of revenue. Before joining McMahon & Tivnan, PC, Maryna worked at PWC where she advised private equity funds, insurance, and real estate companies on a variety of international tax matters, including cross-border transactions. Maryna also worked on tax controversy matters at Harvard Law School Federal Tax Clinic where she assisted clients to resolve tax disputes with the IRS.
Maryna is a dual qualified attorney in New York and in Belarus with experiences in the U.S., U.K., Czech Republic and Belarus, and speaks English, Russian, Belarussian and German languages.
Maryna assists clients with federal tax controversies, including:
- Audits and examination defense, including calculation of correct tax liability and minimizing penalties and interest
- Appeals, including administrative appeals through the Office of Appeals
- Assiting taxpayers with FBAR (Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts), foreign assets and international tax reporting requirements
- Assisting taxpayers to become compliant with their tax obligations through voluntary disclosure programs
- Collection matters, including Installment Agreements and Offers in Compromise, and Innocent Spouse Relief Requests
PwC (2020-2021) — International Tax Associate
- Advising clients on Subpart F and GILTI international tax issues, CFC, PFIC, ECI and FIRPTA considerations, DAC 6 and FATCA reporting requirements
- Assisting clients with treaty interpretations and with EU dividend withholding tax reclaims
- Drafted tax opinions and memos on M&A issues and IRC Sec. 7874, IRC Sec.1202, and international tax reporting requirements
Federal Tax Clinic at Legal Services Center of Harvard Law School (2017-2020) — Paralegal/Intake Coordinator
- Assisted with tax cases, including but not limited to, collection, innocent spouse, and Tax Court
Iowa Legal Aid (2015) — Legal Intern at Low-Income Taxpayer Clinic
- Assisted with tax cases, including but not limited to preparing Offers in Compromise and tax returns.
- Federal Bar Association (FBA), Section on Taxation, Chair of Boston Chapter, The Beyond the Beltway Committee, Steering Committee Member
- American Bar Association (ABA), Section of Taxation
- International Fiscal Association (IFA)